l linkg

Saturday, July 29, 2006

No Remorse

Boredom can be a powerful force. Poets may talk of love, envy, hate and lust but for me boredom can be infinitely more powerful. I was involved in a good example of this some years back. I had a job on the till of the kitchen utensils section of a large department store. It was a slow day. My boredom grew. At about 4.30 a black man walked in to the store and started browsing. He looked through the pots and pans and forks and spoons until he eventually selected a large kitchen knife. He held it towards me, point first, and asked how much it cost. I threw up my hands and shouted “Look man I don’t want any trouble, just take the money!” He was not amused and gave me a rather angry stare. Then the security guard charged in, maced the guy and proceeded to beat him to the floor. You should have seen the look on his face, it was hilarious.
He’s now doing 5 to 8 years for attempted robbery.
The judge didn’t buy his story.
And I was brilliant in the witness box.
He came up for parole recently. But was rejected. The board said it was because he showed no remorse for his crime. Some people are just so heartless. I also gave the parole board some of the death threats he sent me. I was really proud of them, it took me 3 years training to be able to copy his handwriting so accurately.

After 8 years the man was released and came to see me. He told me how he had spent 7 years in prison filled with rage, everyday plotting how he would take his revenge. But in the 8th year a change had come over him. He had found religion and realised how his anger destroyed himself more than it harmed me. Now he had come to visit me so as to forgive me for how I had harmed him. I replied “forgive me, why? It was you who tried to rob me.” But eventually I broke down in tears and admitted what a terrible thing I had done and how sorry I was for the pain I caused him and his children and wife who had recently remarried and moved to Australia with the kids. I told him that my only wish was that I could give him back the years of his life that I had stolen from him. I invited him back to my flat to have a drink and talk about this more. When we got back home I went straight to the kitchen and pulled out a knife. He looked on in horror as I stabbed myself repeatedly about the chest and arms.
He now doing 25 years for attempted murder.
The judge didn’t buy his story.
And I was brilliant in the witness box.
He wont be coming up for parole for a long time.
Personally I’m just glad justice has been done.

4 Comments:

Blogger Bazza said...

Wow! Reading that gripped me by the throat. It was like a synopsis for a brilliant film; find yourself an agent!
It's hard to tell where reality and fantasy separate.

4:45 PM  
Blogger L>T said...

That was fun to read. got any more?

7:30 AM  
Blogger Cornealius said...

Thank you...
Yes i have a few more, that ive been meaning to post. Will do it soon

9:30 AM  
Blogger Yves said...

Powerful and disturbing.

2:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home